We’re proud of the ways we continue to make meaningful contributions to our local community and abroad. Here are just a few examples.
Jack Willard Community Park — We partnered with Danville Parks and Recreation to renovate an unused plot of land owned by the Town of Danville into a family-friendly playground, accessible to children of all abilities. The firefighter theme of the park is in remembrance of longtime Danville citizen and Fire Department Chief Jack Willard and serves as a tribute to the men and women who have and are serving Danville as firefighters.
The park is located adjacent to the Danville Fire Department’s Westside fire station.
Jack Willard Community Park was officially recognized as a Bicentennial Legacy Project and celebrated its grand opening on Sept. 23, 2016, the same day the Indiana Bicentennial Torch Relay passed through Danville.
All proceeds from these events go toward meeting unmet needs in our own Danville community.
- May Golf Outing – Our annual Harold Martin Golf Outing enables us to donate the first $10,000 of proceeds to the Children’s Services Program at Sycamore Services, Inc. This important center provides occupational, speech and developmental therapies to children with developmental delays. The remaining donations are used by Danville Rotary to provide support for other community needs.
- Summer Raffle Sales – From June through September each year, we sell 400 tickets for $50 each. The first $9,500 from these sales are divided to award cash prizes. The remaining $10,500 goes toward community projects and deserving organizations in the local community.
- Summer Sounds Pizza Sales – Our own Danville Town Square hosts the Summer Sounds on the Square Concert Series series every summer. While folks enjoy live music in the warm outdoors, Danville Rotarians sell pizza to raise funds for local community projects.
- Bingo at the Fair – Danville Rotarians love it when the community joins in its bingo game at the Hendricks County 4-H Fair — so much so that it’ll soon be available at Danville Tri Kappa’s Fair on the Square in September. All donations fund local community projects.
- Fall Bake Sale – Each fall, Danville Rotarians gather for fellowship and laughs at the Fall Bake Sale where baked goods — either handcrafted by fellow Rotarians or purchased from local businesses — are auctioned off for a good cause. The event raises funds to provide scholarships for Danville Community High School graduating seniors.
Our Rotary Interact Club is geared toward high school students who want to get involved with an organization that gives back to the community. Danville Community High School students regularly participate in the school’s annual Safe Trick-or-Treating event, which provides bounce houses and prizes for children. The Interact Club enables students to network with local professionals and build their own leadership skills.
By mid-2018, we have raised and donated $139,613 for a variety of Rotary International projects, improving the lives of people all over the world.
These projects have included such causes as: